Monday, October 12


So today I woke up around 6:00. I had an 8:00 appointment. To get all my wisdom teeth removed. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything past midnight last night, which may sound simple to most people, but I'm hypoglycemic, so without sugar in my blood, I could potentially throw up, pass out, or go into a lethargic state. So I was up most of last night worrying, imagining the worst case scenarios that could occur on the hour drive to the oral surgeon. The rest of last night was spent dreaming those scenarios through with the ever present help of the Pevensie children, the Chinese mafia, and Matt Hoopes. My dreams are always like that though.

Anyway, all my worries were for nothing. I didn't pass out on the way there, I didn't die of thirst, and the Chinese mafia did not shoot a hole through the back windshield.

At the dentist, things went okay. I very calmly allowed them to put oxygen through my nose, I barely squinted when they started my IV. I smiled politely when they had to remove it and start it again. After they put me under the influence of the anesthetic, I don't remember much. Somewhere the corner of my consciousness was aware that they were talking. I could hear the conversation. One of the assistants was going to a concert with her daughter next Friday. The other assistant said I had some of the longest eyelashes she'd ever seen. The Doctor reminisced about his days on the cheer squad at high school when someone brought up the school color change taking place next year.

The next thing I remember was waking up in the recovery room, mouth stuffed full of gauze. I couldn't swallow - that scared me. One of the assistants helped change the gauze a few different times before I was released and free to go home. Due to the fact I was still under the influence of the anesthetic, my mom drove me home. On the way I got a milkshake from Wendy's but I spilled most of it since I couldn't feel anything.

The nurse said the medication I'm on has a few psychological side effects. It's good to know the fact that I keep bursting into tears for no reason at least has some explanation. The numbness is wearing off, and now all that's left senseless is a bit of the left side of my mouth. My mouth still tastes like blood, and I'm told that it will continue to bleed off and on for the next two days.

I'm recovering though. I have knitting to keep me busy, I have Relient K to listen to, and I have my friends to type to when it hurts to talk. I'll be okay. Recovering might be a bit long, but once it's done, I'll be back to my normal everyday life where the biggest adventure is choir practice on Sundays.

Here's to Peace, Love, & Recovery


  1. thanks!
    it's giving me alot of time to do things I need to get done around the house and such, so time should go by pretty fast.