Friday, December 25

Merry Christmas

Today we celebrate the birth of a Baby. A Baby literally born in a stable, a cave, the lowliest of dwellings. But that Baby would one day do great miracles and works. And one day, He would die for the sins of the world. That Baby will one day rule over all the nations as eternal Lord and King.
Today we celebrate His humble birth. And we offer Him thanks for His great plan of salvation for us.

It's funny though, what society tells us Christmas is 'really about'. It's funny, the feelings they say we should feel, the traditions we should follow. It's funny how little of it has anything to do with the true Christmas Story. Most years I anticipate Christmas like no other day. I bake all sorts of treats, I count all the presents enough times to memorize their recipients by sight, I count down to midnight Christmas Eve like a small child would. But this year, it's different. Nothing seems that important this year. Not even the music or the lights or the movies, which I shamelessly admit are my favorite parts of the holiday season. It all feels far away and distant to me, but I'm starting to think maybe it's better. I've been doing more thinking on Jesus and His plan for us more than Santa and his gifts. It's still disappointing though. I wanted to be one of those people who is fully 44 and still has that childlike excitement. I never wanted to grow up...

I spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day spending time with my family. Christmas Eve, we all played video games, which I lost. And we sang carols together around the piano. We watched "It's A Wonderful Life" which has to be one of my favorite traditions. And afterwords we watched "The Santa Clause" which is my favorite Christmas movie. I remember watching it every year since it came out. Soon after midnight, I went to sleep. I woke around 3, but not wanting to wake my parents or brother up, I stayed in bed, and listened to Christmas music. Just thinking, dreaming, remembering. I attempted to turn on the Christmas tree lights in the living room, but there were so many presents I couldn't find, let alone reach, the switch. I found a walking stick and poked around a bit with my right hand, while holding my cell phone in my left to use the light to find the switch. Thank goodness the neighbors were still asleep; I must have looked insane. Around 4, I convinced myself I was going to be tired, so I set an alarm for 5 and fell back asleep. When I woke up again, my mom had just turned on the Christmas tree lights, and was about to head back up to sleep. Think again. My brother woke up and wanted to get right into the present-opening. He woke up my dad, and by 6, we were all assembled in the living room, fresh-brewed coffee in hand, A Piano Christmas playing softly in the background (as is tradition) ready to open gifts. Being an organized group, we took turns unwrapping one-by-one. My parents went all-out with gifts this year. There were several signed "Santa" for both my brother and, surprisingly, me as well. There was also one signed "Relient K" and another from "Adam Young", but that's just my parents being creative as always.
I must admit though, I missed quite the party...Santa, Adam Young, the Relient K members, Mickey Mouse, Donald and Daisy Duck, and Demi Lovato all in the living room last night placing gifts underneath the tree...

Anyway, the best part of Christmas morning is watching the faces of everyone else as they open the gift I gave them. To know it brings them joy makes me feel warm on the inside. After the seemingly endless assortment of boxes and bows had been sorted out and their contents revealed, there were two more gifts. The one for my brother was a set of Garage Band Jam Packs (all you computer-savvy folks out there, I'm sorry but I have no idea what that is) and as he opened them, his expression reminded me of when he was little and had just discovered how to ride a bicycle. Then I received one last gift. A custom green Relient K PRS Se1 guitar. I literally was near to tears. It's the first actual guitar I've ever played, let alone the first one to call my own. I could never even dream of affording it myself. The worship leader at church lent an old amplifier to me until I could purchase my own (if you're reading this, thanks so much, Ethan!) so I spent near two hours jamming out rather badly to each and every song I could think of to play. It was amazing.
My brother also opened New Super Mario Brothers Wii or something like that. The four of us played that for hours this afternoon. My brother's the only very good gamer in the family, but it was a fun, laughter-filled experience I'll never forget. We also read The Christmas Story, which is a childrens adaptation of Luke 2. We've read it every year since I was 2 years old.
It brought back that rush of nostalgia, and for the first time, I felt like it really was Christmas again.

Today, we celebrate the birth of a Baby. You may celebrate by reading from Scripture, singing carols, exchanging gifts, or simply spending time with family and those you love. But however you do it, keep Jesus at the center.

"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"

Merry Christmas,
~Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment